Nativity Wood Transfer

                          

A few weekends ago I was asked to take over and teach this Nativity Wood Transfer craft for my wards Super Saturday. (My friend who was originally in charge of the project, who came up with the idea and then taught me how to do it so I could teach it, had a baby... an  adorable, handsome, little baby boy might I add... the weekend before and had family in town and wasn't able to make it) So she asked if I could take over. I'm so glad I did! I've been wanting to learn how to do this project for some time now and was always too nervous to try it. But you guys.. it is SO SO easy!! AHH! I can't believe it has taken me so long to try it! 

And I am going to show you just how easy it is!

First, gather all your essentials
1) Wood (cut however you desire)
2) Image you want to transfer
3) Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel
4) Foam brush
5) Modge Podge

First step is to cut your wood to your desired size. Next you stain your wood, if you want. You can go either way for whichever look you want! While your stain is drying, get your image ready. Find the image you want and then make sure you flip the image to print off backwards (so when you transfer the image over to the wood it will be the correct way). Then print it off! Normal printer paper works great! The thinner the paper the better. 


After the wood is cut and stained (or not stained) and your image is printed of and cut to fit your  wood piece, the next step is the start the transfer process. 

Take the Liquitex Gloss Heavy Gel and brush on a good layer onto the wood. Make sure to get as even and smooth as possible. Then carefully place your image onto the gel (image down, and make sure it's all lined up good) and smooth it onto the wood. 


Now let it dry for a good 24 hours.

Next, take a bowl of water and a foam brush and saturate the paper and start rubbing the paper off the wood. (The more wet, the easier it will be) You can rub the paper off using the brush and/or your fingers. Also, be careful not to rub too hard on the image, or the image will rub off. 
For a more 'distressed' look, just rub a little harder onto the image to get your desired look.

Now that you have rubbed all the paper off, let it dry for a few minutes. (If there is still a little bit of paper residue on the wood, that's ok! Just try to get as much as you can off) 
Then take some modge podge and a foam brush and paint on a thin layer onto the image to seal it! 

So to sum it up... 
1) Cut and stain wood
2) Print off image
3) Brush on heavy gel and place image onto gel
4) Dry for 24 hours
5) Saturate paper with water and rub paper off
6) Modge podge over top! 

And there you have it! Your very own, Nativity Wood Transfer!! 


You can do this same process with colored images and pictures (printed on thin paper) too and also onto canvas! I'm definitely going to try a lot more of these projects! Ah I'm so excited!!

I'll keep you posted! 

Thanks for stopping by!

Love, Kaylin





6c616161aed5ef3ccb9bef7116d1bd029c771817100dd2df3a

Comments

  1. Where did you get the image? I've been trying to find this same image and can't find it anywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts